Friday, July 29, 2011

Toadette's dress fabric

Today, I went back to Fabricville to find a better fabric for my daughter's Toadette dress. First, remember the cotton twill I had gotten Monday that looked too red?

Mushroom hat fabric at top, deep pink cotton twill at bottom

This time, I brought the spandex fabric with me and played a game of "does this match" with my daughter by comparing it to every pink fabric I could find (she compared it to other colours too - yellow, green - she thought it was a really fun game). I was about to give up when we spotted a short sleeved jacket on a mannequin, made of silk noile. Off we went looking for the silk noile table and lo, we found a decent match!

Mushroom hat fabric next to dress' silk noile

Ok, so it looks very different with the flash, but that's because these two fabrics don't reflect light the same way. I truth, the silk noile is a little darker, but at least it is of thesame hue so I am happy with it.

Of course, I did have some reservations about dressing my daughter in silk - she gets dirty so easily. The silk noile was on sale at 3 metres for the price of 1 (18.99$) and I only needed 1 metre so I asked the nice sales lady who is also going to Otakuthon if I could get my metre 1/3 of the price. She couldn't, but then she explained in whispers that due to the special, if I took less than a metre, say 95 cm, she could give it to me for 1/3 of the price. Ok then, a silk noile dress for 6.02$. That is awesome!

And now on to cutting. Last night I drew my pattern, and now it is time for pins and scissors to come out!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Rosalina and Toadette Fabrics

I have fabrics! Not all of them, but enough to get started.

First, Rosalina’s dress:

Rosalina's Dress Fabric

I was looking with a fabric with a sheen or an interesting texture that could be worn by a princess – I did not want plain cotton for this project, although it is always de rigueur for Anime. The best match I found, after comparing it to two satins, was this light aquamarine crepe. It is a little lighter in colour than I would have wanted, but this costume is going to be my interpretation of the character, so I am giving myself the creative licence to toy with colour and details a little. And sure, this fabric is 100% Polyester, and if it’s hot out I might regret my choice, but it is a sacrifice I am willing to make. Plus, at 2.99$ a metre, who am I to complain!

For the neckline, bottom of sleeves and hemline, I got very shiny Organza. I intend to ruffle it more than suggested by the artwork at the hemline and sleeves.

For the underskirt, I have to look through my stash, but I believe I have white, very shiny satin crepe. I am still trying to choose how to make that part; do I attach a pleated underskirt at the skirt and bust seam, or do I make a separate, multi-tiered skirt to wear underneath? In both cases, the underskirt will be used to give the dress its volume.

And now for Toadette:

Toadette's Costume Fabric

I have pink and white bathing suit material to make the slip cover and “braids” for my daughter’s bicycle helmet.

For her dress, I bought deep pink cotton, but being tired and accompanied by a restless “Toadler”, I left the pink bathing suit material in the car (it was bought in a different store) and I tried to match it by memory. That was not one of my finest moments as you can see if you compare the two in the photo. Oh well, it’s just on metre and I can make her something out of it later, but I will have to go back to the fabric store, with the helmet fabric in hand this time, and find the right cotton.

(Say, I have just had an idea: we have an SCA event this week-end and I wanted to make my daughter a new tunic, possibly short sleeved. I’ll just use the deep pink fabric! See, no loss.)

Next step is pattern drawing and cutting. And I guess I’ll have to go fabric shopping again this week. How sad!