Sunday, January 24, 2010

Make your own Spats or Gaiters

Although I am watching Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) yet again (this time with audio commentaries), I will try to write about something else for a change. Let's talk Steampunk.

Whenever I look at Alyssa's beautiful creations (she is by far my favourite Steampunk Costumer), I love to look at all the details she has added to her costume. This includes accessories, such as Spats or Gaiters.

Black & White Steampunk Gaiters by Alyssa - Dragonfly Designs

Now you might wonder what the difference between the two is: from what I understand, spats cover the ankle and gaiters can go up to the knee.

Some of you may remember that I own a pair of child size gaiters (see my post Blast from the past), but to make my own, I was a little unsure of how to proceed. I had a vague idea that I would have to use some draping technique, but it's always nice, before starting a new project, when you can find a tutorial. Even better if it is a video tutorial. And if it comes from Threadbanger, you can't ask for more.

Now this is about making spats, but the technique would be the same if you wanted a pair of knee high gaiters. The only thing is, I suggest you drape both sides of your leg to make your pattern as you calf muscle tends to be rounder and larger on the exterior side. Also, it is easier in that case to ask a friend to do the draping for you on your own leg. But hey, if you're flexible enough, I'm sure you can manage by yourself.

Oh Nancy-Raven... Let's go leather shopping! Oh, and I need a little help with this draping...

No comments:

Post a Comment