Friday, January 1, 2010

A little contest to start the year

When I was at the fabric store last, to buy what I was missing for my Victorian Christmas Dress, I happened to find a beautiful piece of material in the discount section of the store. You know the one: it is usually in the back of the store, everything is on cardboard rolls, piled up and mixed, and the rolls usually say that the fabric is 100% unknown fiber. You can often find beautiful things there for a fraction of their original price.

That is what happened to me. I was looking around, just for the fun of it, and I spotted something green with blue undertones that I believed was polyester. I grabbed it, not caring how much of it was left and what the price was. As it turns out, I got two metres of material for the sale price of 3.50$ a metre.

Now here is the kicker: when I got home, I realized it was actually silk. Two tone Dupioni silk to be exact. And I got two metres for 7$. That is awesome... but I have no clue what to make with it. As I said, I didn't really think about it.

So I want you to decide. This is what I propose: for the next two months (until March 1st, 2010), I will accept suggestions in the comment box or via e-mail. It can be a costume, a funky looking piece of clothing, anything I can make myself to wear. It can also come from any source you want; it could even be a commercial pattern. If you want to add a link to a picture that shows me what your idea is, that would be awesome. Just remember the constraint: there is only two metres of fabric and I want it to be the main material I use for the item I will make, and I wear a size 16. Be sure to give me a name and an e-mail, so I can contact you if your suggestion is the one I pick, and if you have one, a website address. On March 6, I will announce a winner by featuring them and their past creations in a post.

Interested? Start posting those suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment