Saturday, December 5, 2009

Edwardian / Titanic inspired Evening Dress

I bet "Office Party" season has began for everyone. I know these past few years, all of us girls began discussing what we would wear before Halloween had even come to pass. So how can you reconcile your love for costumes with fancy diner with co-workers? (In my case, it was a huge party in a reception hall and attires went from Jeans to Prom dresses, so you could pretty much get away with anything).

Last year, I was 7 month pregnant by the time the Office Party came to be. All of my fancier outfits did not fit my belly, so I just HAD to make something new (I have an excuse every year, I know, but you have to admit, that was a good one).

Original "Jump Dress" Drawing, Titanic (1997)

I happened to have a (lab grown) oval sapphire pendant surrounded by (lab grown) diamonds and it reminded me of The Heart of the Ocean. That inspired me to turn to Rose's dresses in James Cameron's Oscar winning movie, Titanic.

Kate Winslet as Rose DeWitt Bukater, Titanic (1997)

Designed by Deborah Lynn Scott, the costumes in Titanic are beautiful, romantic and dramatic. Of course, I have wanted for many years to reproduce one of them (famous last words), but I guess the next best thing is to make something that has a certain costume feel.

For my dress, I was inspired by Rose's Jump Dress: I loved the red with black lace effect. It's other advantage was that is is en empire waist, which I needed to fit my growing belly.

Gwenyver's Edwardian inspired Evening Dress

I found this beautiful black lace fabric at a decent price, and after hesitating a little (but only a little - I had hoped to go for some bejewelled lace), I go just enough for my dress, and I am glad I did because it came out great. For the red fabric, I had hoped to get satin, but I ended up using this polyester silk imitation that was dirt cheap and actually worked better. As for the pattern, I made it up. It consists of an empire waist bodice with darts, short sleeves and a below the knee gathered skirt. I did originally consider having the lace over skirt be split up the center, sort of like the Jump Dress, but I decided against it as I was afraid it would only serve to outline my baby bump (I know it sounds dumb, but having always been self conscious about my weight and body shape, I felt uncomfortable with the new maternity fashion that really accents the tummy area).

At the time, I wanted a short skirt, but now, I almost wish I had made it floor length so I could wear it as a period dress.

Gwenyver, Seven Month Pregnant, December 2008

So there it is. Guess when I finished it? That's right, the night before. Once it was done, I found that the neckline was a little too high for my taste, but I had been afraid to make it too low. That's OK, I can easily fix it by cutting a few inches away (it would have been much harder to add some had I originally cut too much!).

My co-workers were very impressed. My supervisor kept saying it was just like Haute Couture. Well, I don't know about that, but it is true that it is a very nice dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment