Saturday, October 10, 2009

Owl Baby Costume

I'm not the only one who needs a costume this Halloween: my daughter does too! The only one she has is her medieval tunic and it was already tight at the beginning of September. It's a 6 month and she has gone from fitting in 6 month to being tight in 9 month sized clothes in a month!

As her pet name is Chouette (Owl), I promised my Sweetheart I would make her an owl costume months ago. And lucky for me, it fits into Nancy-Raven's party theme: she can either be Athena's Owl (my Sweetheart has suggested I go as Athena and he could be Odysseus - that would make a nice family costume theme), or she could be Blodeuwedd in her owl shape; either way, it works.

And so for research: I began googling "Baby Owl Costume" and found this adorable one:

It is adorable and seems very well made, but I want a snowy owl. So inspired by that one, I have bought her a white velour coverall as a base, and I intend to make a white and gray version of the above costume using Simplicity 2788, View C (the Lady Bug) as a base.

From that pattern, I can easily modify the wings' shape to fit my needs, make a round hat to which I can attach an owl's face, and of course, add bands of "feathers".

And for her feet...

Aren't they adorable? They were suggested to me by my friend Sciath. I got them from eBay (again with eBay) for a total of 10.94$ CAD, and they have become my baby's everyday/outing shoes.

That is what I'll be working on for the next few weeks, so stay tuned for more updates.

1 comment: