Sunday, September 20, 2009

Dancing with the Stars: Top 3 Season 8 Costumes

(Yeah, I know, I was supposed to be telling you about Montréal Comic-Con this week-end, but something came up and I couldn't make it.)

This coming week is the season's first of many TV shows, so I'll be watching and talking about tele a lot.

So, season 9 of Dancing with the Stars starts tomorrow. Gotta love a show which includes two of my passions: dancing and costumes. I have once heard a Radio announcer say that Dancing with the Stars appeals to women for the glittery revealing costumes the ladies wear, and that it appeals to the men as well, the glittery revealing costumes the ladies wear.

My top three favorite dresses from last season are:

1960's group dance (Episode 807): Edyta Sliwinska, Melissa Rycroft, Lawrence Taylor, Lil' Kim, Tony Dovolani, Derek Hough, Shawn Johnson, Mark Ballas

I have previously said that Lil'Kim's and Shawn Johnson's dress was one of my favorites and that I wish to make a 1960's GoGo dress on that model eventually (see Wednesday Weekly Wishlist of July 29, 2009).

Lindy Hop (Episode 804): Melissa Rycroft and Tony Dovolani

That polka dot dress was so cute, I got myself a pair of turquoise and white polka dot shoes because they made me think of that dress, and I don't even like polka dot (but the shoes were 5$ so come on, how could I resist).

Samba (Episode 809): Melissa Rycroft and Tony Dovolani

To tell you the truth, I wasn't a big Melissa Rycroft fan: I don't like Reality TV in general, and I don't encourage Reality TV Stars, because really, their only claim to fame is having made fool of themselves on some Reality TV Show! (Dancing with the Stars is different: the dancers are professional and the Stars have already gotten famous by doing something else.) Having said that, Melissa was truly a talented dancer and at least, one can argue that she was a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader before she was on The Bachelor.

Now about that dress, I have to say I loved everything about it: it's royal blue, it's got glitter, and I loved the frilly skirt. I spent most of the dance trying to figure out how to make those frills. Definitely my favorite dress from Season 8 of DWTS.

Now if you're a fan of the show, or if you like Ballroom Dancing, you might want a dress too! Not to worry, commercial pattern companies have got us covered. Here are the patterns I own (but I haven't used them yet, so I can't tell you if they are any good):

Simplicity 3912

Simplicity 4312

Simplicity 4744

McCall's 5136

Can't wait to see what new costumes (and wonderful choreographies) Season 9 will bring us!

1 comment:

  1. I have the S 3912, S 4312, and MC 5136 patterns.
    The simplicity ones are very easy to follow, the patterns themselves are easy to trace, they only come in two big pieces. I found the Mccall's dress backs (tieback) a little difficult/unnecessary. I use the 4312 bodysuit, and just mix and match skirt bottoms from the other patterns.

    ReplyDelete