Thursday, September 17, 2009

Costumes on the Red Carpet: MTV's VMA '09

New category: Costumes on the Red Carpet. I've decided to clean up the tag list (which doesn't mean I'm anywhere near to actually starting the cleaning of said list, I've only made up my mind about it) to make it easier to navigate. As I mentioned in my introduction, Red Carpet dresses can be considered costumes (and I promise I'll make a big fuss about the Oscars). I've been looking at some of the VMA 2009: Full Fashion Recap, and there are some actual costumes in there. Really! (OK, I know MTV's Video Music Awards were last Sunday, and that by now the subjects is so passé, but heck, I tell you about centuries old fashion all the time, you're not going to get on my case for four days, are you?)

On a Red Carpet, you would expect fabulous dresses and spiffy suits, right?

While it is still true for some, not everyone follows the same dress code.

Ah! Costumers have got to love Lady GaGa! (I sure do.) Who else dresses as crazily as she does today? Who else dares to wear costumes all the time? (And I was too shy to wear a Feather Fascinator in public!) I've never seen anyone mix The Phantom of the Opera, A Clockwork Orange, The Birds and The Nightmare Before Christmas themes in the same outfit!

Yep! That girl has nothing to fear from the Paparazzis, there is no way one could ever recognize her if she just walked down the street in jeans and t-shirt, with minimal make-up.

Next, we have someone who clearly thought he was at a Superhero Convention.


Sorry mate, the LARP has been canceled!

Some are a little less outrageous, wearing styles that are years too soon...

I feel like I'm watching some futuristic 80's movie (did someone say Back to the Future Part II?) Oh, what can I say, the turquoise caught my eye!

Oh look, it's V'ger!

Persis Khambatta as Lt. Ilia / V'ger, Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

As previously shown by Jack Black, Guys can play dress-up too:

Perez Hilton on the red carpet at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards in New York City

I think I use to have a dress with that floral pattern when I was five or six. That was about the same time we did finger painting in school, but our teacher made us wash our hands before we left.

Sarcasm aside, whether we like Perez Hilton or not (I'm not particularly fond of the guy), you've got to give him credit for originality!

Apparently glitter is in fashion this season. (Really? I hadn't noticed!)

Katy Perry on the red carpet at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards in New York City

Hmmm... Aluminium foil and spikes. Ice Queen, Industrial Biker Chick, or Mercury Superhero? It would look awesome on Dancing with the Stars! (Hey, I have shoes that look like that!)

Oh look, more glitter:

P!nk wearing Balmain on the red carpet at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards in New York City

That's a cute dress, something you would expect to see Pink wear, especially for an MTV award show. But wait, what's going on?

Shakira wearing Balmain on the red carpet at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards in New York City

*Gasp* Drama on the Red Carpet - Every girl's nightmare come true: Shakira showed up wearing the same dress! Don't the Fashion advisers consult each other before such events? Didn't anyone at Balmain notice the two orders?

P!nk and Shakira wearing Balmain on the red carpet at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards in New York City

Well, at least they were good sports about it and here was no cat fight. I seriously feel bad for both of them. I like them both, and it truly is something every girl dreads!

But back to costumes, don't the last two outfits remind you of something?

Nicole Kidman as Satine, Black Diamond Costume, Moulin Rouge (2001)

It is true that P!nk sang Moulin Rouge's version of Lady Marmelade...

No comments:

Post a Comment