Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wednesday Weekly Wishlist: Peau d'Âne

Everyone has a favorite Fairytale from their childhood: mine was Perrault's Peau d'Âne (Donkeyskin). I still have my book, Les Plus Beaux Contes de Perrault (Lito-Paris Editions) illustrated by Monique Gorde, and I still like to read the story from time to time (plus now, I can share it with my daughter).

Peau d'Âne from Les Plus Beaux Contes de Perrault, Lito-Paris Editions, Illustrations by Monique Gorde

Why that story in particular you might wonder? Before she ran away, she got to ask for three dresses: a Sky coloured Dress, a Moon coloured Dress and a Sun coloured Dress. What little girl wouldn't dream of those!

Sky Coloured Dress, Peau d'Âne, Les Plus Beaux Contes de Perrault, Lito-Paris Editions, Illustrations by Monique Gorde

Moon Coloured Dress, Peau d'Âne, Les Plus Beaux Contes de Perrault, Lito-Paris Editions, Illustrations by Monique Gorde

My book shows no illustration of the Sun Coloured Dress, so let's look at the movie version instead:

Catherine Deneuve as La Princesse "Peau d'Âne", Peau d'Âne (1970)

So, obviously, being a costumeholic, I would one day like to make a Peau d'Âne costume. The dresses are one thing: they look a little complicated at first glance (I want to make them from the illustrations), but I know I could figure them out in a few hours. What poses a problem to me is the donkey skin. I haven't a clue how to make that. The head is the biggest challenge: it has to be solid, fit on my head and yet be empty.

To give you an idea, this is what I'd want the donkey skin to look like:

Catherine Deneuve as La Princesse "Peau d'Âne", Peau d'Âne (1970)

Basically, I'll need to learn how to make a Fursuit to make that costume (one can never have enough skills or be done learning), so I'm not making it anytime soon. But it's nice to dream!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for these images, this dress has been haunting me for years and I only had clues about the book, now that it's fully identified I'll go buy a copy :) I remember being in so much awe at this imagery!!! Thx!

    ReplyDelete