Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Costumes in Fashion: Maison Martin Margiela

Ever notice how sometimes, designs you see on the Runaways seem to remind you of something you've seen in a movie or on TV? Here I was visiting New York Magazine's Fashion section (in the search for another current trend I've seen in a movie costume) when on the first page, which is currently showing some Fall 2009 Couture, this caught my eye (I love watery colours, so blues, greens and turquoises always get my attention):

Maison Martin Margiela Dress, Fall 2009

OK, so all I can hope is that this is not the beginning of a new trend of Christmas Garland Dresses. Now look at it and tell me if you see it too: the large, straight shoulders, the hanging in the back, the gathered waist... Doesn't it remind you of something, a classic costume, a blast from comedic television past?

Carol Burnett and Harvey Korman in "Went with the Wind", The Carol Burnett Show (Original Air Date November 13, 1976 - Season 10, Episode 8)

Do you see it now? It hit me as soon as I saw the Martin Margiela Dress that it very much seemed inspired by Bob Mackie's parody of the Gone With the Wind (1939) Green Velvet Drapery Dress.

Incidentally, in this year's Collectible Barbie collection, they have a Went with the Wind! The Carol Burnett Show Doll:

Went with the Wind! The Carol Burnett Show Barbie

For those of you who have never that sketch, you can view it all on YouTube, just follow the links:

1 comment: