Saturday, August 22, 2009

Costume Inspiration: Medieval Fantasy Gowns in the art of Jonathon Earl Bowser

I've already said it, I like to find inspiration for costumes anywhere: on the runways, in the streets, in stores, in art...

A few years ago,
Nancy-Raven introduced me to a wonderful artist, Jonathon Earl Bowser. He is a Canadian artist who's paintings often represents myths and divine (feminine) beauty. One could almost consider him a modern Pre-Raphaelite painter.

Many of his paintings represent beautiful women dressed in sumptuous Medieval-Fantasy Gowns and there are many I would like to make for myself. Presented here are a few of my favorites.


Cathedral of Illusion, Oil on Linen, 48" x 30", 2000

I've always loved that image. How the trees become arches, and what should be misty sunlight is in fact a stained glass window. Plus, I have a gorgeous green antique satin that is just waiting to be made into that dress.

Forest Light, Oil on Linen, 42" x 26", 1999

I generally look good in red, plus, I already have a belt I could use...

Regeneration, Oil on Canvas, 36" x 24", 1991

Look at this one closely: see the details, the cut of the dress? It looks a lot like another dress I admire...

OK, so maybe it's not that easy to see, but I've seen the dress in person, and the green and purple overdress is cut exactly like the pink dress of the painting. See how you can find inspiration anywhere?

Note: I actually believe that Marie-Ange-The-Celt had never seen the painting before making her dress and that the resemblance is pure coincidence, but maybe she can comment on this.

2 comments:

  1. Haahaha, no I didn't ! In fact, I had made the pattern myself (and for me, as for what concerns the sleeves and lack of shoulders) it was an epic fail, but it doesn't so much appear like it :p

    This is fun and nice ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's a funny coincidence then.

    ReplyDelete